Claire Eckstein Indik, Psychology, BMC ’20

Eating Disorders and Treatment

Faculty Advisor: Earl Thomas

Field Site: Adult Anxiety Clinic of Temple

Field Supervisor: Rachel Marie Butler

Course Description:

This course provided an introduction to clinically focused eating disorder research. By conducting hands-on laboratory work, I was able to gain an understanding of the steps necessary to implement a CBT-based intervention for a population with disordered eating. Notably, I learned techniques that can be applied to future clinical practice by running participants through imaginal exposures. This hands-on laboratory work was also supplemented by the exploration of a previous dataset and critical engagement with primary literature. With the previous dataset, I conducted multilevel analysis in R to investigate the moderating effect of emotion regulation skills on the relationship between daily social life events and emotional affect. Additionally, the reading assignments in this course focused on the theoretical basis for different treatment methods, the efficacy of previous interventions, and the neurobiological mechanisms that underlie eating disorders.

Praxis Poster:

C Eckstein Indik Praxis Poster_FINAL

Please click here to access a PDF version of the poster.

5 thoughts on “Claire Eckstein Indik, Psychology, BMC ’20

1. Lise Reno

Claire, you did a great job with your poster. Despite the interruption to your fieldwork onsite with study participants because we all shifted into remote participation in everything, I’m glad that you were still able to carry out the overall learning objectives that you identified at the beginning of your course by shifting your focus to data analysis.

2. Shreya Bhutani

The work that you’re doing looks very important and the overall mission that you’re contributing to seems very meaningful. Are you thinking about keeping in touch with your field site after quarantine is over?

3. Mady Cantor

Nice job on the poster, Claire. It communicates the process and your findings well. Lots of possibilities for future research in this important area here!

4. Anya Capps

Hi Claire!
    I’m very impressed with this research — it seems very thorough and your display of it is clear. This is an important topic to understand and support, so I appreciate your investment in it. I do have one question, though. Is your research is focussed on a particular eating disorder, or just disordered eating in general?

5. Katie Krimmel

Claire, very interesting research study! I was a Psychology major in undergrad and also did some research on emotional regulation. I think it’s such a interesting area of research!