Diane Moore, Economics, HC ’20

Sustainable Supply Chains

Faculty Advisor: Victor Donnay (Praxis Sustainability Seminar)

Field Site: William T. Burnett & Co.

Field Supervisor: Ben Benedict

Course description:

This course explores the sustainability of global supply chains by analyzing the environmental costs associated with the manufacturing of flip flops. Topics covered include the circular economy and carbon footprinting with a specific focus on carbon dioxide emissions associated with transportation. In addition, other sustainability issues are explored through biweekly meetings and discussions with the faculty supervisor and other Praxis students working on projects with environmental focuses.

Student Introduction:

Please click here to view Diane’s video introduction.

Praxis Project:

Diane wrote an article about the Carbon Footprint of Supply Chains that reflects key aspects of her Praxis work.

Diane Moore_Praxis blog article

Please click here to access a PDF version of Diane’s article.

3 thoughts on “Diane Moore, Economics, HC ’20

1. Owen Deitcher

Hi Diane,

I loved this topic of comparing flip flop manufacturers on carbon emissions through travel. I was always a bit in the dark about which form of transportation, whether ground, sea, or air emitted the most carbon dioxide. It would be interesting to see the waste generated, like human sewage, by sea transport influences their carbon dioxide emission numbers. Awesome topic!

-Owen

2. Lisa Armstrong

Thank you for examining the general mechanisms of how the manufacturing of a product leads to environmental exposures to toxins. Your research reminds me that I could be a more socially responsible advocate by researching a product before investing. Also, I could be more engaged in how environmental policies impact our ecological system. I am curious about what you have learned about the social, political, and economic factors that influence environmental health and adverse health effects, and is this information easily accessible?

3. Calista Cleary

Diane, I loved your combination of video introduction and paper! It’s wonderful to see that you are still focusing on how economics and math can be applied to issues of sustainability — this time in global supply chains. I was interested to see the difference between the carbon footprint of sea vs. ground transport. I also like the idea of leaving behind “cradle to grave” model for one in which products have multiple “lives,” which further lowers their carbon footprint. Congratulation on this and your upcoming graduation!