Eliane Nieder, Sociology, BMC ’22

Praxis Fieldwork Seminar: Promoting Change Thru Service (Prof. Martin)

Faculty Adviser: James Martin

Field Site: HIAS PA

Field Supervisor: Jennifer LaMotte

Final Praxis Project:

Eliane wrote a paper about her work at HIAS PA that includes an overview of resources for staff and clients in times of Covid-19.

E Nieder Praxis Final Project

Please click here to access a PDF version of the paper.

3 thoughts on “Eliane Nieder, Sociology, BMC ’22

1. Nell Anderson

Hi Eliane,

I read your paper this morning and appreciated learning about your Praxis internship at HIAS before and after the move to remote work. With your team, you have created a useful and timely resource for HIAS staff and clients. I smiled when I read that although you were at first worried about your lack of web design skills, you discovered that your existing technological skills along with your skills in synthesizing information and your communication skills did in fact prepare you for this very successful project! (You know how much we love to hear about Competencies in Action!)
    I am interested in getting to know HIAS better as it is such an important organization in the field of refugee resettlement and immigration services. I am interested in hearing your ideas for continuing to build a partnership between HIAS and BMC.

2. Lise Reno

Hi Eliane,

I know that your research for HIAS must be so appreciated as everyone continues to adapt and help connect families with the resources available. I like how your introductory reflection helps the visitor to the this blog understand how your Praxis experience unfolded and what that meant for you. Nice job!

Lise

3. Liv Raddatz Post author

Eliane, thanks for sharing how you experienced the change of your fieldwork at HIAS due to the pandemic. The table with the various Covid-related resources is quite comprehensive and has probably been very useful for HIAS staff and clients. It’s great that you had a chance to help create it by using your digital technology and synthesis skills. Simple solutions (e.g. google docs) often work surprisingly well. Great work!